Friday, April 20, 2007

God rocks my world, literally

God has made me realize or caused me to think about things differently over the past several months. Here are a few examples.

1. A great number of people who claim to be saved are not truly born again. This is something that I should have realized a long time ago because there are many Scriptures that talk about this like this one in the book of Hebrews chapter 6.

4For in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit,
5and
have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come,
6and then have fallen away, it is
impossible to renew them again to repentance, since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame.

2. I glorify God most when I am most satisfied in Him. God wants to conform us to the image of His Son. That is why He saved us. This is where we will be most satisfied because the more we are like Christ the more intimate we will be with God.

3. When seeking God people put their circumstances before Scripture. This is very foolish because circumstances can be very misleading. For example, (this one happened like 8 months ago but i remember it pretty well) My fiance' and me were talking to a young lady who said that she was called of God to marry someone in ministry. Carmen asked this young lady how God had spoken to her through His Word about this and she said He hadn't but that she just knew. That is unbelievable but not uncommon in our churches. Most people that I have ever talked to about how they knew God was speaking to them about something said very little, if anything, about Scripture and a whole lot about how they "weighed the pro's and con's" or how"I cannot deny all the things that are coming together that point to this" or how "I prayed over it" (I am not trying to take away from the importance of prayer at all. I also believe prayer to be an improtant part when trying to discern God's will but this person said nothing about Scripture along with their praying). This brings me to the next thing I have learned.

4. God speaks, primarily, through His Word. If you want to know God's Will, read His Word and until you hear from Him through His Word forget about your stupid circumstances.

5. God loves His glory

11"For My own sake, for My own sake, I will act; For how can My name be profaned? And My glory I will not give to another

6. God has given me a new view about my future marriage. I will love her with everything I am because God has called me to lay down my life for His precious daughter.

7. There is no greater truth than the Gospel and everything in our lives should be centered around that truth.

2 comments:

Andrew N. said...

I love to hear about God working in my friends lives. This excites me very much and encourages me.

David Jacks said...

I disagree with you slightly Jeff.

I certainly agree that God speaks to us mainly through his word. However, it would be an ignorant statement to say that someone cannot hear from God in other ways.

What about the early Christians without scripture? Did they never hear from God?

Scripture tells us that God has planted a wisdom in each of our hearts that allows us to know know right from Wrong, and that God truley exist and is Lord of all.
(whether people believe it or not)

God can definately show us many things without using scripture.

Saying that God can only speak to us through scripture would be putting a limit on God.

God gives us wisdom if we are seeking him, and therefore not every decision can be deciphered through reading scripture at first. Sometimes we as Christians just know something...much like a child of God knows he's saved.

Just be wise in your judgments. If you doubt someone's been called by God to do something, then you should let God handle their hearts, and you should be last to pass judgment.

Also realize that God deals with different people in different ways. Including how he reveals things to them.