Tuesday, December 12, 2006

faith

What is faith? Hebrews tells us that faith is the evidence of things unseen and the substance of things hoped for. So this is placing your trust in something you know to be real but you cannot see it? Take the Holy Spirit for example, I know He is real because of His presence in my life but I can't point Him out to others and say "look there is the Holy Spirit."

So what constitutes as a great act of faith? Some might say moving mountains or raising the dead but I think there is an act of faith greater than these. If you were to discuss the subject with a charismatic he or she would probably say that the greatest act of faith is raising someone from the dead, but, I think that the greatest act of faith is something that seems much smaller than that. I say that the greatest act of faith is to look in the mirror of God's Word and see all of our filth, sin, and unholiness and still believe that God loves us exactly the way He says He does.

So many times we fail and we end up feeling so far from God but this is a very wrong perception. God has not moved at all and He is not angry with us because He sees His perfect Son Jesus when He looks at us. God wants to discipline us and make us more holy , but discipline isn't like getting in trouble, it could more be described as grace than anything else.

Our God is an awesome God and there is none like Him

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

By the way, Happy Birthday - yesterday (read it on JRs blog)

I just read your blog about faith and was wondering what you meant that discipline is like grace?

Andrew N. said...

Jeff you are by far the most interesting friend that I have but its for the way that you are and the things you say that make you one of my best friends I have ever had. I enjoy your blog very much so.

Josh said...

yeah, sometimes we can be guilty of smashing the mirror to hide our face from ourselves, if you know what I mean. It's amazing when you think about God's love and how it can overlook so much.