Tuesday, December 05, 2006

just another day

so yesterday was a very depressing day. Nothing really bad happened or anything but it was just weird. Last night i was thinking about how in the Bible it talks about how older men in the church are supposed to train and mentor the young men in the church. Oh how i wish that i knew a man with the one exception in my life that i would even trust to do this. I have never seen this happen, i may have seen a couple of attempts but i have never really seen it and the attempts that i have seen have always ended in failure. Why aren't the men in the church willing to sacrifice and do this. My old pastor talked about how he had a man that memorized scripture with him and really held him accountable and this same man would stay up every friday night, all night long, and they prayed all night and this man taught him how to read and memorize scripture, pray, study, and walk with some integrity.

Sometimes i feel so lost in my reading of scripture and my prayer life, and i know this is mostly my fault, but i have never had a man take me and show me how to read scripture and pray and most of all really seek hard after God. I hear all the time about how you have to sit still and hear and listen for God to speak but i have never been shown how to do that. It almost makes me angry that i don't know of one man that would or even could show me.

I am commited to not be just another male failure in the church. I really want to make a difference. I think, at least in part, we are too focused on gathering big crowds and getting 25 professions of faith, when in reality most are probably still lost, and we have lost the significance in making a difference in just one individual life. I know that the bigger the crowd, the more chance you may have of reaching just one person, but, i am mainly talking about making a difference in someone who is already a christian's life.

For those of you who are reading this and are christians please pray that God would bring someone into my life who will be willing to help me in a big way with this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude I agree with you 100%. I wish I would have had someone to invest in me when I was younger. Now I am all grown up and know it all. I wish!

Anonymous said...

I was comforted by this post. You stated some things that I also feel about my quiet time. I encourage you that there's still hope. I have been praying on and off for probably 2 years and I believe God's brought someone into my life to do just that. Hang in there, and know that there are more people that feel the same way as you but won't necessarily voice it.